Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cinque Terre -Italian Riveria

Me on Lover's lane

Pretty

Lovers Lane


Neat Rocks

So my mom and I decided to take a day trip to Cinque Terre, which is located on the Italian Riveria.  It is also considered to be one of the most romantic places.  Yes I went there with my mom. Cinque Terre means "five lands", so it is five villages and you can hike or take a train between the villages.  My mom and I made it to three of the five villages: Monterosso, Manarola, and Riomaggiore.  It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. 

The trail from Riomaggiore to Manarola is called the Via Dell'Amore ("Love Walk").  It is called this because previous to the walkways being built people from the village married people from their own village only. When the road was created, it made easy for the people from Manarola and Riomaggiore to meet and of course fall in love. 
We took the train to Cinque Terre and on the ride back I saw live wild rats for the first time in my life.  I also used the toilets and found out that whatever you flushed landed on the tracks.  Yes, this is gross.  It was a weird experience to flush a toilet and see the train tracks. 

Interesting Notes for people who decide to go here.  Depending on the time of the day, will determine if major trains stop at all five cities.  My mom and I intended to only go to two cities but we wanted to walk from the second city to the first.  So we waited after the train stopped in the first city and we had to get off on the last city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment