Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Buchenwald & Weimar

The zoo for the entertainment of the SS officers and family
A drawing by one of the prisoners.
a rose on the bar of the dog kennels
Cutouts with pictures of people who were in the camp.
The clock that never changes time. It always show the time of day when the American came and liberated Buchenwald.
The door into the camp.

Also, I visited Weimar after going to Buchenwald. It is a pretty small city and they have museums. We spent about five hours here. Really there is not too much to tell other than the fact that the composer of the “William Tell Overture” lived there and I visited his house. The city housed Schiller and Goethe.

This weekend I visited the Buchenwald concentration camp. I went with the USO and it was our first spot. We only had an hour and a half to check it out, which was not enough. It is one of first and largest concentration camps in Germany. The main gate to the camp says literally, "to each his own", but figuratively "everyone gets what he deserves"). This was my second visit to a concentration camp (my first being Dachua in 2005). It is difficult to explain such a dark chapter of human history.

Interestingly, this is one of the sites President Obama visited when he came to Germany because his uncle was one of the American liberators of the camp.

The clock at the camp always has the same time, the time of day when the American troops liberated the camp.

The second time I went to the camp my dad showed me where the artwork from prisoners is displayed. It is pretty powerful stuff. There was the sense of desperation in some and hope in others and a longing for life before the camp.

***** No picture posted yet. Issues with SD card corruption. Hopefully will be fixed shortly :)

I went with the Meyers so I have pictures from the camp but not from Weimar.

No comments:

Post a Comment